Whaddup, guys, gals, and enby pals? We’re halfway through the first month of 2019! Can you believe? (Insert Jonathan Van Ness tone of voice here.)
If you’ve been active on Twitter, then you should know by now that four of my favorite bloggers – Shealea @ Shut Up Shealea, Lily @ Sprinkles of Dreams, Vicky @ Vicky Who Reads, and CW @ The Quiet Pond – are hosting #YARC2019, a year-long reading challenge focusing on works by Asian authors! You can visit their blogs to find out more.
Since a huge part of “my brand” (lmao) is promoting Asian works, you can imagine how quickly on board I was with this challenge! I’ve decided to aim for the level of Malayan tapir – which means I’m aiming to read 21 to 30 books for this challenge! Check out the lovely badge CW whipped up below:
You can also check out the other levels you can aspire to by clicking the links above!
So far, here are the books written by Asian authors I’ve read this year! I’ve also decided to be a little Extra™ and make a Twitter thread, complete with aesthetics for each book!
To know more about the Year of the Asian Reading Challenge, visit @YearOfTheAsian – or check out the reading challenge hosts, @VickyCBooks, @shutupshealea, @sprnklsofdreams, or @artfromafriend/@thequietpond!
— ☕ your tita kate ☕ (@yourtitakate) January 19, 2019
- Empire of Sand by Tasha Suri
- The Weight of Our Sky by Hanna Alkaf
- Ignite the Stars by Maura Milan
- The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Choksi
- A Spark of White Fire by Sangu Mandanna
- Kiss and Cry by Mina V. Esguerra
- Enlightenment by Reno Ursal
- Mr. Hotshot CEO by Jackie Lau
- Descendant of the Crane by Joan He
- Flipping the Script by Danice Mae P. Sison
- Patron Saints of Nothing by Randy Ribay
- The Shadowglass by Rin Chupeco
- The Bride Test by Helen Hoang
- The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang
- Stealing Luna by Carla de Guzman
- You, Me, U.S. by Brij Bautista
- Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza
- Spin the Dawn by Elizabeth Lim
- My Fate According to the Butterfly by Gail D. Villanueva
- The Candle and the Flame by Nafiza Azad
- The Birthday Girl by Melissa de la Cruz
- Jade War by Fonda Lee
- The Night Diary by Veera Hiranandani
- Wicked Fox by Kat Cho
- A House of Rage and Sorrow by Sangu Mandanna
- The Right Swipe by Alisha Rai
- Like Nobody’s Watching by Tara Frejas (a reread!)
- The Dragon Warrior by Katie Zhao
- The Never-Tilting World by Rin Chupeco
- A Thousand Fires by Shannon Price
I will periodically update this post as I read more Asian books through the year, along with links to any reviews I write!
Additionally, to help with everyone’s goals, I’ve also made a nifty Google Sheet spreadsheet to track your Asian reads! You can access the spreadsheet here.
Let’s hear from you guys!
☕ Will you be joining #YARC2019? Link me your sign-up posts!
☕ What Asian authors are your favorites?
☕ Any recommended books you think I should check out?